RIP Joey Nitro


Edit Update: I spoke with a family member and it looks like Joey passed as a result of substance abuse. There is a go fund me page to help out Joey's family especially his dad, who obviously are beyond destroyed right now. Please help out if you can  here

https://www.gofundme.com/f/tribute-to-joey-rogers?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link-tip&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

I lost one of my dearest friends in the world today. Joey Nitro. He was only 30. His real name is Joey Rodriguez, but you know I knew him through comedy doing open mics in Alameda where he was from along with Mean Dave, Nina G and Justin Harrison, OJ, Duat and Chris.

Joey and Mean Dave and I had a podcast and he was like 14 years younger than me, one of the great things about doing comedy is you get to make friends (family really) with
an extremely diverse group of people. And Joey and I became really good friends. Him being younger he was like a connection to younger people
and I remember being interested to know this person and excited to see what he would become and the person he would grow into.
I always believed in my heart that he knew the way. And now even though he wasn't in my life that much these days, that is taken away and I have been devastated all day since I heard the news and
I still can't believe it.

He had such an amazing attitude and positive spirit in the face of relentless inebriated bombing, just a beautiful spirit trying to be like Bill Hicks but in his own way, and I don't know how you measure success in open mics, but if you measure comedy in heart,
Joey Nitro won open-mic standup comedy. he was good at rapping too.

but mainly Joey was a really cool kid. A good person a young person with a lot to say. I would often check in with him on his live feeds from his room or wherever. I know he had a hard time in his living situation, and he did some substances I don't do. I didn't put it together that
he was in trouble or anything I was looking forward to the success story I just assumed was going to happen eventually.

 Too many of my friends and loved ones are dying way too young... This time I feel almost like youth itself has died. Life will go on but Its a huge loss that I will never get over.
I miss him and I am going to miss that kid for the rest of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Avengers: Endgame' directed by Joe Russo and Anthony Russo

My Projector and Bedroom Movie setup